Sunday, February 3, 2013

And we're back!

Hello Blog! I'm sorry I have neglected you; but three years of steady employment has a way of distracting a guy. It wasn't you, Blog; it was me. But, I have accumulated some shiny new portfolio pieces, and over the next few days I'll be sending it all your way. You and me, Blog. Just like the old days.

So, the news. It seems I haven't updated you since... 2009. Wow. Okay, I got the job at Bight games, and worked there, quite happily, for about a year and eight months. I learned on the job more than I ever did at school, and met some truly inspiring people. Shortly before they were bought by EA, I was offered a position as 3D Department head at a school called the Gaming Animation Institute of Fredericton. 

Having had something of a lackluster educational experience, I was excited to help others not end up in the same boat; and the GAIF's policy of focused courses with industry input and realistic expectations appealed to me. I worked there for roughly a year and a half, handling an assortment of administrative, teaching, recruitment, course development, and general problem-solving duties. It was challenging, but I learned a lot, both about leadership roles and my field of expertise; teaching has this way of forcing you to understand your trade on a deeper level. It always amazed me that half a dozen students could find half a dozen new ways to break the same piece of software.

My days at the GAIF were very full, and often extended well into the night. While it is satisfying to go home at the end of the day having averted a list of disasters as long as your arm; I missed the studio environment, and the crazy studio people, and having time to work on my artwork. I submitted my resignation back in January, and that just about brings you up to date.

So goes the tale of the wandering art-monkey. Stay tuned Blog, I'll keep you posted.

-alex

No comments:

Post a Comment